Few football clubs can match Everton’s historic past.
Since its creation as a local parish sports organization in 1878, Everton have become one of the most famous football clubs not only in England, but also in the world.
From its humble beginning as a church club, Everton helped found the Football League and played in its first season in 1898-1899. They won their first league trophy in the 1891 season, and their first FA Cup championship in 1906.
Living up to their slogan “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum”, which is Latin for “nothing but the best is good enough”, Everton have won nine first division trophies, five FA Cups and one European Cup Winners’ Cup. They also hold a record of having the most seasons in the English top flight, with 111 participating seasons out of the possible 114 terms in the league to date.
The first string of success that Everton achieved was in the 1927-1928 season, when they won their third league title with the help of manager Thomas McIntosh and the prolific Dixie Dean, who scored a record 60 goals in 39 league games in that season. Dean’s record remains untouched.
The club unfortunately got relegated to the second division in 1930-1931 season, but they returned to the top flight in the next term and stamped their status in the league with a championship in the 1931-1932 season. They also won their second FA Cup in 1933 and their fifth league tilt in 1938-1939.
Everton enjoyed their most successful eras under two famous managers in Harry Catterick and Howard Kendall. Catterick steered the Blues from 1961 to 1973 and won 2 top flight trophies, an FA Cup and 2 Charity Shields. Kendall handled them from 1981 to 1987 and led them to 2 two first division titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Winner’s Cup and 3 Charity Shields.
The football club originally played home games at Stanley Park, before moving to Priory Road when the club received it via land donation in 1882. They moved to Anfield in 1884 to allow larger crowds, but a conflict with Anfield owner John Houlding forced them to move to Goodison Park, which was completed in 1892 and has served as Everton’s home till today.
Throughout the years, Everton have been majorly called as the Blues, the Toffees, or the Toffeemen. The “Blues” nickname has stood out since the club’s kit has always been blue shirts and white shorts, while the “Toffees” tag originated from a toffee shop nearby Goodison Park.
The club’s crest has differed from time to time but it always featured the local Everton lock-up, or also known as Prince Rupert’s Tower. In the 2013-2014 season, club officials decided to remove their Latin slogan from the crest, but fans protested to put it back for good starting the 2014-2015 term.
Since football has become a global sport, Everton have also become world-wide famous, leading to sponsorship from international products such is their worldwide following.